My Relationship to Writing

Jeez.. eye rolling at this first topic. It reminds me of job interview questions like, "What is your greatest weakness?"

My sixth grade teacher, who was a writer by night, thought that I was a natural writer.

I wrote a nice piece in 9th grade and got invited to join the literary magazine which seemed like a mistake because I've been more of a STEAM person than letters. I recall this blue mohawked, skateboarding girl who wore punky boy's dress code at our ivied, college prep academy. She ticked the diversity box which was otherwise on-paper diversity only. She wrote a jaw dropping poem "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Chain" inspired by Wallace Stevens' poem. (I just read Stevens was inspired by Haiku which helps explain why I like it so much.) I appreciated that poem so much and it made me feel I really didn't fit the bar for the lit mag. One thing everyone at my high school had in common was that they were all great writers. Some people were so amazing.

In the next two years I had serious writer's block or some such problem with work ethic that nearly made me unable to graduate. I was able to write about Film instead of Literature which I hated and I had a couple friends help me with cheating while I did their math work. I scored much lower on their math tests than I would have on my own; evidence that even math grading is subjective.

Writing software has parallels with writing fiction. At least, I imagine it does.

Comments

  1. Heheh. The subject does uncomfortably resemble an interview question. It was both a cop-out and a way of explaining why I came up with this project.

    On a more interesting note, I’d be interested in hearing more about why you think writing code is like writing a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Fiction, not novels specifically. Still, I’m intrigued.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, a lot like an interview question :)
    Something you don't feel like sharing with everyone but now you have to talk about :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Policies and Procedures

Fire and Water